Public Libraries Australia Ltd (PLA) collects, holds and manages member and personal information so it can better represent its members, and advance the cause of Australian Public Libraries.
PLA complies with the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988, particularly the National Privacy Principles; and the Privacy Act (Private Sector) Amendment Act 2000 (December 2001).
Collecting Personal Information
· PLA collects personal information primarily for the purpose of conducting its business efficiently and effectively.
· PLA collects personal information from individuals through completed forms, telephone calls, direct mail, e-mail, member visits, face-to-face meetings, events, etc. The person supplying the information is advised of the purpose for which the information is being collected.
Disclosure and Use of Personal Information
· Unless required by law PLA will not disclose personal information about an individual unless the individual has provided consent, either at the time of providing the information or following a specific request.
· PLA does not normally collect sensitive information. However where information collected may be regarded as sensitive it will not be disclosed without the explicit consent of the individual. Where such information is requested, in general PLA will advise the party/parties seeking such information to obtain it directly.
How Will PLA Manage Personal Information?
· PLA procedures set in place to ensure that personal information is protected from misuse, unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
· PLA aims to ensure that personal information it collects is current, accurate, and complete; and held only for as long as necessary. An individual has the right to seek access to any personal information that PLA holds about them and to request that any perceived inaccuracy be corrected.
· If an individual requests access to their own personal information, PLA will make all reasonable efforts to provide such access. Similarly, if an individual requests that their own personal information be deleted or destroyed, PLA will make all reasonable efforts to do so.
· PLA identifies information about individuals by their name or by an identifier created by PLA.
· PLA Board Directors, members, contractors, service providers, and other individuals acting in their capacity as PLA representatives or performing services on behalf of PLA are required to respect the confidentiality of personal information and the privacy of individuals.
Keeping things Anonymous
· Individuals have the right to be dealt with anonymously, provided it is lawful and practicable. PLA aims to accommodate this as far as possible.
Monitor and Review
· PLA will monitor, review and update this policy as necessary to take into account any changes to its operations and practices or changes to the laws governing privacy.