Manager Cultural Education & Library Services
Job No: PSC183 | Location: Parkes
About Parkes Shire Council
Parkes Shire Council is a progressive and innovative organisation that embraces new ideas and has adopted a philosophy of continuous improvement. Council is committed to delivering progress and value to our community through living our corporate values of Community, Innovation, Integrity, Respect, Safety and Teamwork. The values guide the work we do, the choices we make and how we interact with each other and the community. For our employees we provide a positive, safe, creative and fun work environment which embraces new technology with the focus on the safety, health, wellbeing and professional development of staff.
The Parkes Shire prides itself on welcoming new people; it is a progressive and caring community which also possesses a wonderful sense of fun and inclusiveness. Parkes is a community that is used to welcoming new residents. People from all over Australia and the world come to work at various organisations such as Northparkes Mines, the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS), CSIRO radio telescope and various other employers. The Parkes Shire also attracts many people who are looking for a “tree change” and a more affordable lifestyle for their families with the medium price of housing according to Australian Property Monitors (APM) in Parkes in 2013/14 being $255,000.
About the Opportunity
Would you describe yourself as an "out of the box thinker"? Looking for a challenging and rewarding role in an innovative environment?
Parkes Shire Council is looking for a highly self-motivated, creative thinker, excellent communicator with outstanding customer service skills to manage Council's Cultural, Education and Library (CEL) services units. A manager who has the energy and vision to lead the CEL unit to new successes is sought.
Council has commenced a $2.2M expansion and renovation project of Parkes Library. The new Manager CEL will help support this project - a once in a lifetime public infrastructure opportunity.
To be considered, you will have knowledge and passion for contemporary library services, cultural practice and programs, relevant tertiary qualifications and proven industry experience. Your expertise will include high level technology skills, project management skills, and significant experience in leading, motivating and developing staff and teams. To be successful in the role, you will also need high level interpersonal and negotiation skills; the ability to build strong partnerships within the organisation and community, and a track record of effective change management.
If you believe you fit this profile, we look forward to receiving your application.
The successful applicant will be a proactive, lateral thinker and leader who:
- Possesses a “can do” attitude
- Improves performance and outcomes through innovation and creative thinking
- Effectively communicates the vision to others
- Self-motivated and motivates others to achieve
- Exemplifies a high level of Customer Service skills
- Degree qualification in Business, Education, Cultural Services or Librarianship.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in a similar capacity, preferably in a Local Government environment
- The ability to develop and implement strategic plans, policies, develop products and manage projects contracts.
- Exceptional communication and customer service skills internally and externally to the organisation.
- Proven organisational time management and project management skills
- Demonstrated experience in planning, budgeting and directing comprehensive library and cultural services and programs.
- Class C (standard) Driver's Licence
Other details relating to this position are:
- The Grade applicable to the position is Grade 16-18, depending on skill level and experience.
- The weekly gross salary range is $1559.70 to $2047.35 plus 9.5% superannuation
- Working hours will be 35 hours a week (hours will be spread across 8am to 7pm with 1 hour lunch)
- One rostered day off per four weeks
- Weekend work will be required on a roster basis
- Vehicle leaseback
- Employment conditions are in accordance with the Local Government (State) Award 2017
- You must provide a Working With Children Check number (or Application no:) and DOB for verification
- You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job
- Parkes Shire Council proudly promotes the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity
- Aboriginal persons are encouraged to apply
VIEW FULL POSITION DESCRIPTION BY CLICKING HERE
How to Apply
Before you apply for this position, please read the position description carefully to assess your eligibility and suitability for the position. You will be required to answer a few questions that relate to the criteria on the online application below. You will also be asked to attach your current resume which should include two recent employment related referees. Please note that you cannot submit your application without attaching your resume. A cover letter is not required. Council will only accept applications submitted on line.
Parkes Shire Council operates a merit-based recruitment process.
In the event you are shortlisted for an interview, and are then selected to progress to the next stage following interview, you may be requested to undergo the following pre-employment screening processes as part of the selection process:
- A pre-employment physical examination (at Council's expense), including a hearing and drug and alcohol test
- Please include two work related referees in your resume for reference checking purposes - please ensure your referee details are current
- Please include your Working With Children Check number (or Application number) and DOB for verification
- Undertake any other applicable screening that may be relevant to the role
- Council may also check authenticity of certificates and qualifications
As part of the recruitment process, Parkes Shire Council will be collecting information about you. This information is private information for the purposes of the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act. This information will be included in the recruitment file, and accessed by Council Records Staff and members of the Recruitment Selection Panel. Applicants may request their information be returned to them at the conclusion of the recruitment process.
Other Important Details
Enquiries: Telephone Rhonda Milgate on (02) 6861 2333 for further information.
Closing Date: 5.00pm AEST on Monday 10th December 2018 .
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONCE YOU START TO COMPLETE YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION, YOU CANNOT SAVE IT AND RETURN TO IT LATER.
Good luck and we look forward to receiving your application!