Youth Services Librarian (102018)
$73,792 pa (Band 5) plus super *Full time / 9-day fortnight *35 hours per week *Broadmeadows Library
- Reference: 5031920
Be a leader in one of Victoria's most progressive public library services!
About Hume Libraries
Hume City Council is located on the northern fringes of Melbourne. We have six public libraries servicing a growing population of over 230,000 people. In 2018/19 Hume Libraries had over 700,000 visits and loaned 900,000 items.
About the role
Hume Libraries has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Youth Services Librarian to provide library services for the Hume community.
As the Youth Services Librarian - Broadmeadows Library, you will have a shared responsibility for planning, delivering and developing high-quality and innovative programs, collections and resources for children, youth and families in Hume.
As part of a large team you will work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders. You will communicate with a broad range of people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
You have strong skills in electronic and print resources and are able to demonstrate technology and library literacy to the community. You have an excellent knowledge of early language and literacy development.
This position reports to the Team Leader Broadmeadows Library and works under guidance from the Coordinator Library Programs and People. You will share responsibility for the library collection with guidance from the Team Leader Broadmeadows Library and the Coordinator Library Collections and Promotions.
- Undertake regular direct library customer service duties as the shift supervisor, including regular evening and weekend shifts, and ensure the effective operation of the library by directing staff as necessary
- Communicate and interpret library services, policies and procedures to library customers and others in the community
- Provide assistance to customers using library technology, including online resources, print management system and using library computers
- Promote all Hume Libraries services and collections in all formats to the Hume community and actively promote services for children and youth in particular
- Work as part of the Youth Services team to plan and facilitate a range of programs across Hume Libraries
- Facilitate early learning sessions, school holiday activities and events, and other programs as required to promote and support early language and literacy development and STEAM learning
- Ensure all activities, events and programs are planned and delivered consistently, successfully and in accordance with agreed policies, procedures and guidelines
- Evaluate and report on program, activity and event outcomes
- Facilitate training as required
- Promote and ensure a safe and healthy environment for customers and staff
- Actively collaborate with the Coordinator Library Collections and Promotions and contribute to collection maintenance, focussing on children's and teenage collections
Skills and experience
- Graduate Diploma in Information Management or equivalent, facilitating eligibility for professional membership of the Australian Library and Information Association
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in electronic and print based information resources
- Demonstrated ability to plan, develop and deliver programs
- Ability to develop and maintain collections
- Sound written and verbal communication skills including the ability to gain cooperation from and communicate with a broad range of people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Demonstrated ability to convey computer and library literacy to the community
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships with staff and work together in a team environment
- Public Library experience an advantage
- Ability to speak a second language is an advantage
- Current Driver's Licence
- Current Working With Children Check
Hume City Council is a leader in local government and is recognised for its innovation, initiative, leadership, service, quality and support for its people.
Hume City is one of Australia's fastest-growing communities and with more people choosing to call Hume home, we're expected to welcome more than 57,000 new residents to our City over the next decade.
What We Offer
With our high level of employee engagement, Hume City Council offers a great working environment where you can develop your career. We offer flexible work arrangements and other benefits, such as study assistance and interest free loans for public transport. Our strong commitment to social justice and the environment provides opportunities for employees to participate in various programs.
For further information please view the position description or contact Wendy Byron on 03 9356 6932
Applications Close: 03 Mar 2020