Libraries & Customer Service Officer
Albury, New South Wales, Australia
Business, Growth & Community
$58,458 to $64,304 pa + 10.5% employer contribution to superannuation
Lavington Library Coordinator
Permanent Part Time
Provide friendly and efficient customer service, information and technology service as part of the Albury Libraries and Museums Team.
- Provide front-line, customer- focused service at the Lavington Library and Council customer service facility as part of the Lavington Library team. This would include, but not limited to:
- Undertake customer service duties - provide information, technology, retail assistance to Lavington Library customers
- Quickly identify our customers’ needs and ensure the information provided is transparent, open and delivered in a timely manner in accordance with legislation and Council policies.
- Provide customer service excellence to our diverse community across our multi contact channels environment; being face to face, telephone & online.
- Accurately undertake cash handling tasks, including processing, receipting, balancing and banking.
- Assist in provision of library and exhibition programs for children, adults and targeted groups.
- Assist in library collection management as required, including library shelving and tidying, updating the libraries catalogue.
- Undertake Lavington Library administrative processes including room and event hire, statistical reporting and inter-branch deliveries.
- Use a variety of information management systems including library management, computer booking systems and customer request management systems.
- Liaise and problem solve with the other areas of Council when required to provide relevant services to the customer.
- Staff members who hold Justice of the Peace registration may, on a volunteer basis, support the organisation in providing Justice of the Peace Services to the community. If not currently a JP, willingness to obtain your JP registration would be beneficial.
- Participate in a customer-focussed service as part of a self-managed, dynamic team environment.
- Perform other tasks or duties as directed by the Supervisor which are within the limits of the employee’s skill, competence and training.
- Observe requirements of the WHS Legislation, relevant to the job and adhere to AlburyCity Policies and Procedures regarding WHS.
- Observe appropriate AlburyCity Policies and Procedures regarding day-to-day operations including Equal Employment Opportunity policies, AlburyCity’s Dress Code and Standards Policy and AlburyCity's Code of Conduct.
- Based on a 35 hour week, working 21 hours across a 7 day spread with actual days and times being worked in accordance with the facility roster. Requirement to work one Saturday within a 4-week period additional to the 21 hours worked that week.
- Hours worked on weekends will attract the appropriate loading.
- Additional hours up to 35 hours per week may be worked by agreement, and this would be paid at the ordinary rate of pay.
- This position has been assessed as Category B under AlburyCity’s Dress Code category. Uniforms in this category are compulsory and are provided with the position.
- This position involves working in a mix of environments including both indoor and outdoor. In addition to computer work, a moderate amount of physical activity may also be required, depending on the nature of the tasks undertaken. Appropriate WHS standards will be applied for all manual handing activity. A full functional and medical assessment will be carried out for this position.
- This position is located at the Lavington Library. The position may at times be rostered at the LibraryMuseum or the Council Customer Service Centre with occasional visits to external sites/depots as required.
- Certificate IV in Library and Information Services, Business Management or equivalent relevant experience in a customer service or cultural service environment
- Class C Driver’s Licence (compulsory to have and maintain)
- Experience working in a public library or cultural facility in a customer focussed role will be highly regarded
AUTHORITY & ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Demonstrated ability to work with the minimum of supervision
- Demonstrated ability to prioritise workload
- Ability to supervise casual staff and volunteers as delegated
- Ability to maintain standards of confidentiality, ethics and legal responsibility
SPECIALIST KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Sound knowledge of customer service principles applied to a range of customer profiles
- Demonstrated knowledge of library procedures, services and programs
- Knowledge of local government operations and services
- High level of computer literacy in the use of a variety of software applications including MS Office Suite, web based products and information management systems
- High level numeracy skills and knowledge of cash handling, receipting and ability to complete end of day reconciliations and banking records.
- Experience in a broad range of administrative functions including drafting correspondence, preparing reports, filing on electronic document management system and maintenance of accurate statistics and records
- Ability to provide Information and Readers Advisory Services
JUDGMENT AND PROBLEM SOLVING:
- Ability to make appropriate judgements in relation to quality of service delivery, security of AlburyCity’s assets and safety of welfare of clients and staff
- Ability to apply innovative solutions and ideas in the workplace
- Proactively problem solve and maintain a high standard of ethics in all matters
- Demonstrated time management skills
- Ability to instruct and direct casual staff and volunteers as delegated
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients and team members to facilitate work goals and ensure a committed and motivated team
- Knowledge and demonstrated commitment to the principles of customer service, and maintaining a safe, welcoming and client friendly environment
- Well developed written and verbal communication skills
Our Organisation: We are the facilitator of a thriving, resilient and liveable city full of opportunities and the custodians of an environment like no other. We consistently deliver best-in-class leadership, services, facilities and experiences, providing exceptional living for our local community.
Our Values: We are a values driven organisation and these underpin everything we do.
- Working Together: I respect, listen to and value the contributions of others and celebrate our achievements.
- Integrity: I am trustworthy, honest, accountable, open and consistent in all that I do.
- Courage and Passion: I am enthusiastic and have the confidence to speak up for the betterment of AlburyCity.
- Innovation: I seek to increase my knowledge through new ideas and continuous improvement.
- Loyalty: I am supportive of others and committed to AlburyCity and the community.
Live Well Work Well: The health and safety of our people is more than a priority, it’s a commitment embedded within our values. Unlike priorities which change over time, our values form the basis for all that we do; they define our purpose and what we stand for. We seek to have a positive impact by developing a holistic wellbeing culture that empowers everyone to be their healthiest and happiest version, resulting in a more engaged and productive workforce with lower incidence of illness and injury.
It is, and always will be, our goal to have a workplace free from harm.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The Directorate: Business, Growth & Community - Our Business, Growth & Community
Directorate focuses on providing more and better, opportunities for our people and our
The groups within our directorate will empower our people, city and region to strive for
more and to champion the significance of Albury as a national destination for life, work,
culture, sport, entertainment, business and investment.
We build relationships and promote engaging and actionable dialogue with our community
and our partners. We ensure good governance, financial sustainability and we facilitate a
highly engaged, satisfied and well-informed workforce.
Our Service Model: People/Place/Progress - Our Service model is built around our brand
pillars of empowering progress, Serving with Excellence, which is about our people and
taking care of our place
We are caretakers and custodians of a very special, unique place. We are committed to
enhancing the experience of living on the Murray River, preserving our natural environment
and promoting our region as a gateway to our many, varied landscapes.
Service Cluster: Community & Place - Our Community and Place Service Cluster plays a key
role in enhancing our city’s rich tapestry. Its purpose is to contribute to a vibrant, united,
caring and inviting community through integrated planning and delivery of a range of
community, social, creative and cultural services.