Digital Library Activation Specialist
Job No: CN2228 | Location: Newcastle
- Are you driven to provide exceptional customer service and thrive in busy multi-faceted environments?
- Are you a tech savvy all-rounder who would love the opportunity to introduce a range of technology to the community including “Pepper”, Mars robots, podcasting equipment and more?
- Do you have a knack for problem solving and using your initiative to find customer driven solutions?
- Full-time, 2 year fixed-term contract – 35 hours per week.
- Flexible work arrangements available, including flexitime and a 9-day fortnight.
Thriving and rapidly transforming, Newcastle is New South Wales’ second largest city and is located 160km north of Sydney. It offers the perfect lifestyle and career environment.
City of Newcastle (CN) is seeking a tech-savvy, community-minded Digital Library Activation Specialist to champion digital inclusion and information literacy at our new Digital Library, co-located on Level 1 of 12 Stewart Avenue with our Customer Experience team and City of Newcastle Council Chamber.
This exciting new hybrid library showcases digital experiences alongside a small retail-style collection of top reads. Working as part of the Digital Services team, the role will manage the day to day library function of the site, but the key focus will be to “activate” the technology and spaces in support of our Digital Inclusion and Lifelong Learning strategic priorities.
Championing the contemporary library experience to our community, you’ll provide an array of library services supported by a unique schedule of programs, capitalising on technology such as Pepper the robot, Mars Rovers, robotics kits, podcasting equipment, etc., targeting digital and information literacy.
Key objectives for the position are to attract new audiences to visit, to work with stakeholders to ensure all functions are cohesive, to create connections and partnership opportunities for local businesses and community groups and to embed the Digital Library into the broader network of library service points.
At CN our people are valued and have access to a range of benefits that help balance life at work and at home. These include flexible working arrangements, professional development opportunities and health and wellbeing programs. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, flexibility in working locations can be negotiated with the successful applicant.
The essentials you’ll need:
- Tertiary qualifications; or significant relevant experience in IT, Library or related fields.
- Demonstrated experience and evidence of strong technical and troubleshooting ability of systems, hardware and software that apply to the contemporary library service.
- Strong working knowledge of audio-visual equipment including podcasting and recording equipment.
- Demonstrated commitment to keep abreast of emerging technologies, and opportunities to develop digital inclusion and increase digital literacy within our community.
- Demonstrated customer focus with proactive and highly advanced problem-solving skills and communication skills.
- Demonstrated advanced organisational skills, the ability to manage competing priorities, and initiative to work independently within delegated authorities.
- Current Working with Children Check.
Other valuable skills you may have:
- Extensive experience developing and delivering digital inclusion and information literacy programs and events.
- Extensive experience working in a collaborative multi-disciplinary team.
- Extensive partnership management and demonstrated ability to foster and manage relationships with community partners.
Sound like the perfect job for you? Apply Now!
City of Newcastle proudly promotes the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and fosters a culture of diversity to represent the community of our Local Government Area.
All candidates will be assessed against the selection criteria outlined in the position description. Suitable candidates may be placed on an eligibility list for future identical positions for a period of 12 months.
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
We highly encourage you to view the full position description, including a useful overview of our Libraries & Learning Service Unit, by clicking here.
Application Closing Date: Sunday, 17 May 2020.
Remuneration: $77,194.18 + 9.5% Superannuation for a 35-hour week.
Contact: Briana Elliott - Manager, Digital Services & Innovation - 02 4974 5321.
The NSW Child Protection (Prohibited Employment) Act 1998 makes it an offence for a person convicted of a serious sex offence, or a Registrable Person under the Child Protection (Offenders Registration) Act 2000 to apply for these positions. Relevant criminal, Working With Children and prior employment checks, including relevant disciplinary proceedings, will be conducted on recommended candidates.