Literacy and Learning Facilitator (Youth and Education)
Job No: MEL603 | Location: Melton
Full Time Permanent Position - 35 hour per week (including one Saturday per month)
Salary Range $71,280 to $82,081 per annum + 10.5% Super + RDO
About Melton City Council
The City of Melton is a community where everyone belongs. Ours is a vibrant and diverse municipality—one of the fastest developing in Australia. Our organisation strives to provide our community with state-of-the-art amenity and facilities, engaging health and wellbeing options, and support to become active members of our Lifelong Learning City.
We invest in innovation, offering professional and personal development, and generous leave and flexibility to staff, while also fostering a collaborative and inclusive culture. You’ll be able to work close to home in a dynamic setting featuring cafes and retail options set amongst heritage buildings and open green spaces.
Melton City Libraries is seeking a highly motivated professional, passionate about working with and for our young community.
In this role, you will develop, deliver, and evaluate an innovative range of engagement programs, creative activities, and initiatives to support positive youth interaction in Council’s Library and Learning Hubs. Also develop and build strategic partnerships with education institutions in the municipality that develop awareness of library services and create opportunities for improved learning outcomes.
This position is a permanent, full time position based on a 35-hour week, including a regular evening and 1:4 Saturday mornings.
- Provide leadership to staff in the delivery of high-quality customer service across the library service to ensure customers have a positive experience characterised by active engagement
- Participate in rostered library customer service shifts at library facilities or outreach points and proactively engage with customers to maximise their use of resources, equipment, technology, and online platforms.
- Liaise with secondary and tertiary education providers to deliver a consistent approach to student and industry work experience across the library service, including the development of student placement programs.
- Provide input into the development and maintenance of library collections through specialist knowledge of education and community needs in relation to area of responsibility.
To be successful in this role you will have the following:
- A tertiary qualification in either professional membership (librarian) of the Australian Library and Information Association or in Youth work, Education or Community Development together with relevant experience in public libraries.
- Experience working in an education or learning environment.
- Experience in program development and delivery for young people.
- A passion for community engagement, with a customer-centric approach to your work.
Culture and Values
Our vision for our community is to be: "A vibrant, safe and liveable city accessible to all" and that means there’s a place here for you too. Our organisational values represent us as an established growth Council and the values are reflected in everything we do; our decision-making, our actions and our service provision to the community. Council has a diverse and vibrant organisation and we’d love to have you join us to help shape a city for the future.
We are Vibrant MELTON. Our values are:
There are a number of great reasons why our people love working at Melton City Council:
- 19 Day Month
- Flexible Working Hours
- Extensive Career Development & Leadership Programs
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave
- 3 weeks Paid Secondary Carer Leave
- Family Room available including Breastfeeding Facilities (Melton City Council | Australian Breastfeeding Association)
- Wellbeing initiatives
- Subsidised Uniforms
To read more about our benefits visit https://meltoncity-staff-benefits.applynow.net.au/
How To Apply
If you require further information about the position, please contact Emma White, Coordinator Library and Arts Activation on 03 9747 5919.
To view the Position Description, click here.
Applications must include a Resume and address the Key Selection Criteria outlining your suitability to the role.
We encourage you to use the STAR approach when writing your responses to the selection criteria.
Situation (Task) – provide a brief outline of the situation or task?
Action – what did you do in response to the situation or task?
Result – what was the result of your action?
To address the Key Selection Criteria you will need to write short statements explaining how you meet the criteria, or how you demonstrate the capability. We encourage you to keep your responses concise.
Applications submitted via email, after the closing date and/or that do not address the Key Selection Criteria will not be considered.
Successful applicants must comply with COVID-19 Public Health Orders applicable to Local Government employees and Council’s COVID-19 vaccination policy which require employees to provide documentary evidence of their vaccination status before attending the workplace.
Applications close 5.00pm Friday 2 December 2022 | Apply Now!
To be eligible for employment at Melton City Council you must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident of Australia or be legally entitled to work in Australia.
We strongly encourage job applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities, LGBTIQA+ and people from culturally diverse backgrounds.
Melton City Council is committed to being a child safe organisation and has Zero tolerance for child abuse. Melton City Council is committed to creating and maintaining a child safe organisation where protecting children and preventing and responding to child abuse is at the centre of our everyday thinking and service delivery. Please note, we undertake several screening process to ensure this commitment is upheld, this includes ensuring the successful candidate to this position holds a valid employee working with children/vulnerable people check and satisfactory criminal history record check