Programs Library Officer - Local Studies
Job No: COR1043 | Location: Ryde, NSW
- Permanent part-time opportunity, 26 hours per week
- Document, preserve and share cultural heritage
- Join a collaborative and progressive team
The City of Ryde was recognised as an Employer of Choice in the 2021 Australian Business Awards and is a progressive local Council possessing natural landscapes, beautiful parks and scenic waterways, all centrally located only 12 kilometres from the Sydney CBD.
The City of Ryde Libraries is comprised of five branches at Ryde, North Ryde, Eastwood, West Ryde and Gladesville as well as a significant online library. Our libraries are vibrant and welcoming places in the local community. City of Ryde Libraries continue to innovate and strengthen our services with an emphasis on exciting new developments and emerging technologies in public libraries.
About the role
The City of Ryde has an exciting opportunity for an innovative and customer focussed library professional to play a key role in the delivery and development of the City of Ryde Libraries local studies and family history collection.
In this newly created role, you will use your experience in and enthusiasm for family history and local history to help document, preserve and share City of Ryde’s rich cultural heritage with the community. As part of the Programs Team, you will have an opportunity to assist in the provision, delivery and promotion of programs and services related to Children and Young Adults, CALD, Seniors and Home Library Service clients.
On a personal level you will need a positive, high energy approach and enjoy engaging with the local community and have a passion for family history and/or local history.
Your commencing salary is negotiable in the range of $63,240-$71,145 per annum (pro rata) (plus superannuation) depending on your experience and qualifications.
This position is part time, 26 hours per week. It is mainly based at Ryde Library but required to also work at all library branch locations (West Ryde, Eastwood, North Ryde and Gladesville) including a fortnightly Saturday shift at a branch as the shift supervisor as well as occasional evening shifts.
- Assist in the development and management of the Local Studies and Family History collections to ensure the highest level of information access and delivery to the Library’s customers
- Provide training in the Local Studies collection and its services for library staff, City of Ryde staff and researchers from the community
- Contribute to projects relating to the development of the Local Studies Collection and the provision of access to these collections
- Provide excellent frontline customer service
- Provide leadership for customer service shifts when assigned as shift supervisor
- Tertiary degree in Library and Information Science recognised by the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) or a discipline relatable to the duties of the position and a TAFE Diploma of Library and Information Science or equivalent library technician qualification recognised by ALIA
- Experience in the delivery of local studies and family history library services
- Experience in cataloguing, digitisation and database management of local history resources
- Experience in supervision of library and staff for operational shifts
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- High level written communication skills
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for information technology and troubleshooting ability
- Current driver’s licence
- Current COVID vaccinations
Culture & Benefits
- Annual performance reviews and Award increases
- Opportunity to sign up as a fitness passport member
- Various health & well-being initiatives (ie flu vaccinations, skin checks etc)
- Generous uniform allowance
How to apply
Use our fast, easy to use on-line application process to apply today. In addition to answering the questions shown below, this position requires you to attach your Resume to complete the application process. Please note, you are not required to submit a cover letter or a statement addressing selection criteria.
If you would like to know more, please see the Position Description or phone (02) 9953 8353 and ask to speak to Angela Phippen, Acting Senior Coordinator Library Programs for a confidential discussion.
Closing date: Wednesday 24 August 2022 at 11.30 pm
City of Ryde is committed to Equal Employment and Child Safety