Program Director - Wellington Shire Libraries Network
Job No: WSC20383 | Location: Sale, VIC
Program Director – Wellington Shire Libraries Network
Position No. 384
Band 8 - $109,094 - $122,242 plus 10.5% statutory superannuation
Are you a creative, energetic, and versatile person with a passion for libraries and a desire to help shape the future of our leading library service in Wellington Shire Council? This could be the role for you.
Wellington Shire Libraries Network is a contemporary public library service encompassing multiple localities at Sale, Maffra, Heyfield, Stratford, Yarram and Rosedale in Gippsland, Victoria where library users can meet their educational, information and recreational needs in a safe and welcoming environment.
We are looking for an experienced leader to join our Community & Culture Division in the position of Program Director – Wellington Shire Libraries Network.
The Program Director – Wellington Shire Libraries Network is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day running of the Libraries network, managing the library services team and coordinating a high level of service delivery in the context of our commitment to customer service excellence.
This dynamic role involves operational management and leadership, including team building, staff management, and recruitment across the network. In addition, there will be an expectation for regular visits to library branches and interaction with your teams to ensure consistency across all libraries. You will also be responsible for engaging with the local community to understand their needs and developing partnerships with a wide range of organisations and groups to develop the library offering across the municipality.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead and mentor library services team across 6 localities.
- Promote, advocate and market the library service.
- Lead an effective and relevant collections management.
- Effective decision-making on all Library operations including the provision of specialist advice in relation to external funding applications, business cases and continuous development strategies to maximise opportunities and raise the profile of the Wellington Shire Libraries Network.
- Responsibly administer and manage the Library Network budget.
- Strategic planning and fostering an environment of innovation.
- Improve the performance of the libraries you manage.
- Ensure community outcomes are achieved in line with the Wellington Shire Council Plan and Arts & Cultural Strategy.
- Deliver accurate reporting of all Library programs and events including library network performance.
To be successful in this role, you will have strong people skills, an understanding of the needs of the local community and the ability to work to targets and meet deadlines. You will be someone who can proactively contribute to a forward-looking culture by encouraging and promoting a ‘can-do’ team spirit amongst your peers.
We are looking for someone to be an advocate for our library service, a skilled communicator who can inspire others, who is keen to contribute to the success of a future focused Wellington Shire Libraries Network.
As our ideal candidate you will have substantial experience in supervising staff and dealing efficiently with operational procedures. You will demonstrate an understanding of the important role that libraries play in lifelong learning across life stages. You will confidently influence, negotiate and collaborate with stakeholders and various levels of industry.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate how they meet the criteria below:
- Tertiary qualification in Library Studies and/or Information Management.
- Demonstrated experience in a supervisory/ leadership role in the Library Services sector.
- Proven ability to manage budgets, allocate resources and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to consult, negotiate and liaise effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Strategic vision for the positive impact that libraries have in supporting and engaging with communities.
- Experience producing high level strategic reports, evaluations, and analysis.
- Demonstrated capability to manage teams through organisational change.
Here at Wellington Shire Council, we have a strong commitment to create a workplace culture that is collaborative, provides work-life flexibility and encourages opportunities for growth and development. We take pride in providing a supportive workplace with great career opportunities for our employees.
Every person at Wellington Shire Council brings their own unique experiences, perspectives and talents to help contribute to our vision of “Happy people, healthy environment and thriving communities in the heart of Gippsland.” As one of the largest employers in the region we have a diverse workforce of more than 500 staff who are based throughout the municipality, and we all work together as a team to make a positive impact in our community.
We use award-winning technologies to seek and implement innovative improvements across the organisation. We work hard to position ourselves as a leader in local government, continuously improving our diverse range of services for the betterment of our community.
We offer a rewarding culture of innovation, flexibility and continued learning in a collaborative, supportive environment.
Wellington Shire Council is committed to upholding the Child Safe Standards and associated legislative requirements.
Wellington Shire Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to encourage applications from people of different backgrounds, abilities, ages, genders and/or sexual orientations and gender identities.
Wellington Shire Council takes climate change and sustainability seriously and is looking to respond proactively and positively to the challenges ahead.
Wellington Shire Council is located in the Gippsland region of the state of Victoria, Australia and is approximately two hours east of Melbourne by road or rail. Many of us dream of a simpler lifestyle, with wide open spaces and no traffic jams. In The Middle of Everywhere, we live that enviable lifestyle every day.
In Wellington Shire you will find a wide range of beautiful environments to explore, with our pristine beaches, picturesque mountain ranges, temperate rainforests, wetlands and plenty of diverse, contrasting spaces to take your breath away.
Whether it’s a stroll along the iconic Ninety Mile Beach, a canoe down the Mitchell River or a bush walk through the Alpine National Park, there’s plenty to keep you busy in The Middle of Everywhere. Home to a range of tight-knit communities, you’ll quickly find yourself right at home with the wonderful people that make these towns so special.
From our lively restaurant and café culture to the very best in local produce, you’ll never be short of Sunday brunch ideas and places to try!
Visit https://themiddleofeverywhere.com.au/ to find out why the Wellington Shire is a great place to live and work.
How to Apply:
Applications must address the Key Selection Criteria as outlined in this advertisement and will be accepted no later Midnight Sunday 16 October 2022.
A position description can be obtained from this link.