Library Officer - Content and Discovery
Job No: GR210939 | Location: Hurstville
About Our Council
Georges River Council is a leading, people-focused organisation delivering outstanding results for our community and city. Our council is dedicated to helping protect our natural environment, providing vibrant public places, sustaining and developing a thriving creative culture and enabling people to move around the area easily. We offer access to a mix of housing options, create exciting job and business opportunities. We are experiencing exciting transformation, with numerous city-changing initiatives and projects underway.
Georges River Libraries employs 62 staff who work across five libraries. All our staff are committed to and passionate about working with our local community to provide them with innovative and accessible resources.
Our purpose is to deliver professional public library services with open access to information and places for the whole community to come together to share ideas, knowledge and experiences. The way we fulfil our role has been and will continue to be transformed by the changing face of our diverse community as well as advances in online sources of information and digital opportunities. We will maintain a special focus on the principles of sustainability, accessibility and the professional development of our staff.
About the Opportunity
- Temporary, Part-time - 42 hours per fortnight (Parental leave cover until June 2022)
- Salary from $66,471.26 - $77,016.87 per annum plus 10% superannuation
- Wellness perks including, free counselling, flu vaccinations, health-checks, gym subsidy and more
- Deliver innovative services that promote and support our community
An exciting opportunity has become available for an experienced Library Officer - Content and Discovery to join our dynamic and innovative Library Services team. As part of the Community and Culture Directorate, the successful candidate will be offered a diverse role with the ability to work on improving business processes whilst continuing to develop their career. This role will contribute to the efficient and effective operations of the Georges River Libraries by ensuring the delivery of high quality, customer focused library services, resources, programs and systems.
- Undertake rostered duties at all Georges River Libraries to meet customer expectation
- Provide support and instructional training to staff and customers in the use of library software, self-service kiosks, public computers, photocopiers and printers
- Deliver and promote library and information services that meet the diverse needs and interests of the community encouraging the development of literacy, creativity and lifelong learning
- Maintain awareness of current models for readers’ advisory services in libraries and develop best practice guidelines for the delivery of the readers’ advisory service across Georges River Libraries
- Develop and deliver a readers’ advisory education and awareness program to up-skill all library staff to meet the objectives of the library’s strategic plan
- Assist with projects that promote and increase usage of the library’s collections
Qualifications, Certificates & Licences
- TAFE Diploma qualification in Library and Information Science and/or equivalent library experience
- Demonstrated experience in library and information services
- Demonstrated experience in implementing, promoting, delivering effective and relevant library services, programs and events to a diverse community encouraging literacy, creativity and lifelong learning
- Demonstrated skills in written and verbal communication including summarising data, preparing reports and providing training.
- High level customer focused approach to service delivery
- Demonstrated ability to work unsupervised and in a team environment
- Demonstrated analytical, time management, organisational, and creative problem-solving skills
- Must be fully vaccinated (minimum 2 doses) with an approved COVID-19 vaccine and provide Council with evidence of vaccination, or an accepted certified medical contraindication. Council reserves the right to confirm the validity of contraindications in accordance with NSW Health guidelines, and to direct a Worker to undertake an independent medical examination in relation to the issuance of a medical contraindication certificate.
If you would like further information on this role, please contact Tim Ungaro, Coordinator Library Resources on 02 9330 6188.
If you have made a positive commitment to further your career and you possess the attributes located in the Position Description, then please submit your application today. Applicants are asked to ensure that they provide responses to the targeted questions, failure to do so may result in your application not being considered.
Applications must be completed and submitted via our website. Closing Date: Friday, 29 October 2021 at 11.30 PM AEST
Offers of employment at Georges River Council are contingent upon satisfactory results of a thorough background check.
Georges River Council aims to be a leading, people-focused organisation delivering outstanding results for our community and city. We foster our values of Accountability, Professionalism, Unity and Honesty and take pride in promoting the image of Council in the community.
We are committed to building a workplace culture that values diversity and inclusion, and welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, workers of all ages, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
At Georges River Council we are committed to putting children first and championing child safety within our community. We actively advocate for the rights of children and young people and will uphold our commitment as a child safe organisation.
Please note you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident or have unlimited working rights (with no Visa restrictions) in Australia to apply for this position.