Children’s and Youth Librarian
Job No: CC220215 | Location: Auburn
Cumberland City Council is located within the fast-growing Central City District and is on the doorstep of two of Greater Sydney’s new cities, between the Greater Parramatta and Olympic Park (GPOP) area and the new Western Parkland City. The Central City District is benefiting from unprecedented city-scale infrastructure investments, making this an exciting time to join Cumberland.
Located 20km west of Sydney on Dharug country, with a population of 240,000 residents, Cumberland is the fourth most populous LGA in Greater Sydney. Cumberland boasts one of the most diverse communities in Australia, with people from many different backgrounds and cultures living alongside one another.
Our people are focused on driving community outcomes, programs and services to innovate, inspire and deliver change for the community we represent.
Cumberland City Council adheres to the principles of a child safe organisation and is committed to the care and protection of all children and young people. Council has worked hard to fulfil its community’s vision for Cumberland as a place where anyone can feel welcome, belong and succeed.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Library Services team provides a range of Library services and programs for the community across the Cumberland City Council Library Service.
Reporting to the Team Leader Library Programs and Information Services, the Children's and Youth Librarian is responsible for programming services and collections specifically for children and young people aged 0-16 years over all Cumberland Library locations.
The successful applicant will require:
- Degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent experience and eligible for Associate membership of ALIA
- High level of interpersonal and customer service skills, with a proven ability to relate to children
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team in a public library environment
- Ability to relate well to children
- Demonstrated high level analytical, investigative and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated high level of written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously whilst managing competing priorities and deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to delegate tasks effectively
- Demonstrated understanding of current issues and trends in the Library profession, especially pertaining to programs for children and young people
- Experience in collection development
- Current Working with Children Check
- Current Class C Driver's Licence
Download the position description here for more information.
Position information: This is a permanent, full-time position, working a 70 hour fortnight, working Monday to Saturday 8:00am to 8:00pm on a rostered basis, with access to Council's 9 day fortnight Rostered Day Off (RDO) arrangement.
This role is will rostered to work at Auburn and Merrylands Libraries, however you will be required to work across any branch of the Cumberland City Council Library Service.
Council fully supports the aims and objectives of NSW Child Protection Legislation, and associated provisions, and will implement all necessary measures to ensure a safe and supporting Council environment, which endeavours to promote child safe child friendly practices. It is essential for applicants to submit their WWCC number with their application. It is an offence under NSW legislation for barred workers to apply for or otherwise attempt to obtain, undertake or remain in child-related employment.
Salary information: The salary and conditions of employment are in accordance with the NSW Local Government (State) Award.
- Grade 10 of the Cumberland Salary Structure with a salary range of $1,435.72 to $1,651.07 per week, plus 10% superannuation
- The commencing salary will be negotiated, taking into consideration the successful applicant's qualifications, skills and experience related to the role
WHAT WE CAN OFFER
- We promote work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements including working from home opportunities
- Training and professional development opportunities available to develop skills and grow your career
- Leave entitlements including annual leave, 15 days personal leave per year, parental leave and access to Long Service Leave after five (5) years (where applicable)
- Three (3) additional grant days of paid leave over Christmas (where applicable)
- Health and Wellbeing Programs to support our staff by providing access to online professional learning, paid leave to undertake annual skin checks, COVID-19 vaccinations and to donate blood
- Subsidies to assist with the cost of wellness and fitness activities
- Free access to Council owned swimming pools
- Access to Council's Fitness Passport Program and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
Council is committed to providing an accessible, safe and inclusive workplace for all. If you require additional support or any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, please let us know during the application process.
Successful applicants must be eligible to work in Australia and agree to provide information for pre-employment checks required for the position. This may include criminal record checks, qualification and licence checks, and proof of the right to work in Australia (please refer to the position description for the specific qualifications and requirements for this role). Copies of sighted documents will be kept by Council for its records as proof of verification.
Council's COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure has been designed and adopted to protect the health and safety of our people, our customers and the community. It is a condition of employment that all applicants produce evidence of their vaccination status as part of the employment screening process.
Enquiries: Telephone Sofia Silvestri on (02) 8757 9425 for further information.
Closing date: 11:30pm, Sunday 5 June 2022
HOW TO APPLY
To submit your application for this position, please complete the questionnaire below. On the following page you'll be asked to attach your resume and any relevant qualifications (if required) to complete your application. Make sure you have these attachments ready before you apply as your application cannot be submitted until completed. You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.